domingo, 2 de noviembre de 2014

What are WE waiting for?

Sometimes, we decide not to talk or to discuss certain topics with people; such as religion, politics or sports, if you are talking with a man. Personally, I believe that we do so in order not to confront with them or not to be too exposed because we know that probably what we believe does not match with what others believe. My main purpose is not to prompt a debate or to state what I think, but to reflect upon my present and future and help you to do so as well.

A very controversial issue that most people prefer not to talk about is euthanasia. For those who don’t know, according to Wikipedia Euthanasia “refers to the practice of intentionally ending a life in order to relieve pain and suffering”. Holland and Belgium were the first countries in the world to legalize euthanasia in 2002, and since then it has been performed in more than 4.000 patients each year, especially on terminally ill people or people who suffer from cancer or advanced Alzheimer. In Argentina, the senate adopted the “muerte digna” law in 2012, only for terminally ill people or irreversible cases. Camila, for instance, was a three-year-old girl who was in a permanent vegetative state and her parents begged the senate to allow them to let their little daughter die since they felt they were living in a “permanent death state”. Euthanasia or “assisted suicide” is also legal in some states of the US and these include Oregon, Washington, Vermont and Montana.

I cannot say that I’m fully for or fully against euthanasia. However, I do believe that we all human beings should have access to the Death With Dignity Act. This does not mean that if you are in a vegetative state, for instance, your family has to decide whether to disconnect you or to wait for a miraculous recovery; but it means that if you are a terminally ill patient YOU can decide whether to continue living suffering and seeing yourself getting worse each day or to stop the suffering by taking life-ending medication.

Probably you have heard about Brittany Maynard. She is a 29-year-old Californian girl who started suffering from severe headaches after she got married. She was diagnosed with glioblastoma multiforme brain cancer, which is the most lethal and aggressive form of brain cancer. The doctor gave her a prognosis and she has only six months left to live (which it must felt as just 24hs). Since in California euthanasia is still illegal, she decided to move to Oregon with her family where the law gives her the option to take life-ending medication if her dying process becomes unbearably painful, so she can pass away gently and peacefully at her own home. I’ll let her speak for herself.

Now, knowing that she has only months left to live, she is seizing every day. She travels with her family, she tells them every day how much she loves them and they tell her how proud they feel for her. This makes me wonder: “what am I expecting for? Why don’t I tell and demonstrate my family and friends how much I love them every day? What am I waiting to accomplish and fulfill my dreams? Why do I keep postponing and procrastinating them?”. What would you do if you knew you only have six months left? Do you really need to be on the edge so as to “start living”?

A movement is underway to expand access to the death with dignity act, so that no American has to endure prolonged pain and suffering anymore. Despite the fact that she decided to end her life in November 1st, she realized that she still feels fine, because she still laughs enough with her family and friends so she does not feel that this is the right time. But she knows it will come since she admits feeling sicker and sicker.
I’ts really difficult to state whether I’m for or against euthanasia. I wouldn’t disconnect any of my family members but I cannot be so selfish to let them live knowing they are suffering, so I would respect their decision which ever it is and I would ask them to respect mine.


After losing one of my closest and loved friends, I realize that there are lots of things we cannot control; however, we can control our present. So, let’s start living now! NOW is always the right time! 




In case you want to know more about Brittany, watch this video 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lHXH0Zb2QI

Information retrieved from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia

6 comentarios:

  1. Een though Brittany had decided to postpone her assisted death, she did it anyway last Saturday. Here is the video that confirms it.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/brittany-maynard-died-wanted/story?id=26658093

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Nice post, Mai! In relation to the Euthanasia issue, I also think that it is a matter of choice. We shouldn’t judge people for taking the decision to die with dignity, mainly if we haven’t undergone such a difficult situation. All of us should have to right to decide whether to put up with pain or not. Deciding to have access to the “death with dignity” doesn’t mean that those people were weak or didn’t have respect for life. I think that those who have taken that decision (such as Brittany) believed that they deserved something better. And I respect that.
    As regards your question (“What are we waiting for?”), I also agree with you. We have only one (and beautiful) life, so we should enjoy every single moment. Every hour we waste is an hour that never gets back. As you know, I’m a big fan of “Lord of the rings”, and what you say made me think of what Gandalf said to Frodo when he complained about having found the ring (which triggered the war):
    “I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
    "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Loved your quote!! I didnt remember it! It was quite difficult to write about thi topic since I did not want people to believe that I hate life or that Im a killer haha. I just wanted to say that if I would be sick, I would stop the pain and die with dignity. However, I dont know if I would perform Euthanasia on a relative, I think I just could not do sth like that.
    What are we waiting for to travel, Dani? :P

    ResponderEliminar
  4. I agree with you girls. There are times when we think about other people's choices and judge them without having experienced a similar situation. First, we need to get information about the situation and then try to put ourselves in their shoes and understand their decisions. I think this is a serious topic and the people suffering should decide what they want to do with their life. There are cases in which the person whants to live until ,naturally, death comes. Others, however, are in so much pain that prefer to stop suffering. How can we tell them they are being weak when they are in a bed with insufferable pain? In the video you share there is a quote that might sound cliché but holds truth: "In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years" And I believe that we need to live our life enjoying what we like and getting rid of negative things. We need to really LIVE.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. That's right, Maite! Sometimes in our lives, there are certain events that make us reflect and ask ourselves "Am I really living"
    We may change some aspects for a period of time (start doing what we really like, tell our family/friends that we love them, etc.) However, time moves on and sooner or later, we are re-absorbed by our routine and occupations... Anyways, every single day is a new oportunity to realise... isn't it?
    As regards Euthanasia, well, I think the controversial issue is if "YOU" decide to stop living or someone else does it for you, because "you're suffering"... It's something that governments and citizens must consider...

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Life is a precious gift we are given and what we have to do is to live it knowing that every thing we do is a step forward. If there is something I have learnt with the moments I've gone through is that life don't lasts forever, the end may be here soon or soon after. Meanwhile ENJOY LIFE and MAKE EVERY MOMENT the MOST BEAUTIFUL ONE. Nice post my dear friend.

    ResponderEliminar